From a coloured postcard showing Rector Morgan on his way to Church. He was Rector from 1862-1900
There has been a church in Guisborough since before 1086 and it was recorded in the Domesday Book, although nothing remains of the original church.
The earliest record of the church being called St Nicholas dates from 1363.
In the 19th century various structural alterations took place in the church. In 1874 the west gallery which had housed the choir was taken down.
Subsequently they sat near an organ which was set up in the north aisle. Admiral Chaloner contributed towards the cost of these alterations. This was also the ime when the box pews were removed.
Between 1889 and 1893 an extension was built onto the north wall of the chancel which provided vestries and an organ chamber: the organ was relocated to its present position at this time. Also the sanctuary was re-floored and panelled with oak..
Then came the re-ordering of the church by Temple Moore between 1904 and 1907. The ceiling was removed, a new oak roof was built and the chancel arch was raised. Plaster was cleaned off the walls and pillars.
In 1967 the font was moved from the back of the church to its present site. Four rows of pews were removed from the front to provide extra space for worship and the pulpit was brought further into the church. Also the Lady Chapel was built. The Chaloner tomb is situated beneath the Lady Chapel, hence the added height. The Memorial Chapel/Chapel of Remembrance was made in 1978.
The only original parts of the church remaining are the medieval tower and some parts of the chancel.